Department of Education



Participation ‹ Parents

Information for parents

For young people in the last years of compulsory education (typically Year 11 and 12) there are a range of approved options to meet the School Education Act (1999) participation requirement.

This doesn't mean they have to stay in school full-time as there are lots of options.  However you need to remember that whatever option or combination of options they choose must add up to full-time.

If your child chooses to stay in full-time schooling you don't need to do anything but if they decide on one of the other options you are responsible for completing and submitting the appropriate form.

When it comes to choosing options and completing the forms there is a lot of help available.  You can either contact your school or the Engagement and Transition Manager at your regional education office (formerly district education office).  Help is also available from staff at state training providers (formerly TAFE colleges) and local employment agencies.

If your child needs any help to explore the options, please talk to your school or a Participation Coordinator at your regional education office .

Please visit our FAQ page for more information.

If you are in Year 10 or lower, you will need to complete an Exemption form instead.


All contents copyright Government of Western Australia, unless otherwise stated.

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this site may contain images of people who are deceased.

Copyright material available on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) licence
Exclusions may apply: