Department of Education

Instrumental Music School ServicesFor Parents ‹ Issues and concerns - advice for parents

Issues and Concerns - advice for parents

Instrumental music teachers generally work in a number of schools and are often only in your child's school for a short period on one day of the week. This mobility can raise doubts in the minds of parents as to what to do when there are issues or concerns that you wish to raise with the instrumental teacher.

You should always contact the instrumental teacher first if you have a question or concern. This is best done through a note in your child's student journal which the teacher will see at the lesson. The teacher will respond by either written comments, telephone contact or a personal appointment, as appropriate. Some teachers will write their mobile phone number in the front of the journal and if so, you can leave a message for them on their message bank and they will return your call at a suitable non-teaching time. However, not all teachers have mobile phones.

If you wish to attend a lesson to observe your child's work, it can generally be arranged in advance with the teacher. Not all lessons are suitable for this purpose, and your attendance is also conditional on the lesson not being disrupted by your presence.

If you have a problem that is not solved through discussion with the instrumental music teacher you should approach the school principal, who will work with you and the teacher to resolve the problem.

Issues and concerns - advice for parents

All contents copyright Government of Western Australia, unless otherwise stated.

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this site may contain images of people who are deceased.

Copyright material available on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) licence
Exclusions may apply: