Department of Education

English as an Additional Language or Dialect


English as an Additional Language or DialectTranslations ‹ Interpreting and Translation Services

Interpreting and Translation Services

Why use interpreters?

When enrolling English as an Additional Language or Dialect (EAL/D) students it is strongly recommended that an interpreter is accessed to assist school personnel and family members communicate important information and accurately complete enrolment details. It is not advisable to use students or other family members who share the same home language as the student/family for enrolment translating purposes.

Schools and offices are able to access the new Common Use Arrangement (CUA): Contract No. ITS2012 Interpreting and Translating Services in 2013.

This contract is in place to support the Western Australian Government’s Language Services Policy and to ensure that language is not a barrier to service provision across the Department of Education.

The CUA currently has three categories:

  • Aboriginal Australian languages;
  • Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Languages; and
  • AUSLAN (Sign Language).

What are the benefits of using the Interpreting and Translating CUA?

The key benefits of the CUA include:

  • pick and buy from 14 different contractors for approximately 60 accredited languages;
  • seven different contractors for AUSLAN services;
  • access to interpreters and translators who have the National Authority Accreditation for Translators and Interpreters accreditation or obtained other relevant qualifications through a tertiary institution or Registered Training Organisation; and
  • promoting compliance with the Western Australian Language Services Policy 2008.

What do I use this contract for?

  1. Interpreting Services:
    • On-site (face-to-face)
    • Telephone
    • Videoconferencing and other visual media such as Skype

School personnel can contact a service provider and arrange for either an on-site or phone interpreter request. Lists of the service providers and a full list of available languages are available in the Government Contract Directory: Education Edition

  1. Translating Services:
    • Translations for information only
    • Translations of confidential medical or other reports
    • Translation of Departmental documents for publication

Requests for the translation of written materials must be approved and processed through the EAL/D Curriculum Officer Resources (Contract Manager) by email.

The translation of written materials is expensive and it is often preferable to arrange an on-site interpreter for an interview to discuss a student’s progress with the parent/caregiver rather than having a school report translated.

Contract Manager: EAL/D Curriculum Officer, Resources
Telephone: 9402 6154

Who incurs the costs of interpreting and translating services?
Costs are incurred by the Department and not by the individual school.
All invoices are to be marked:
Department of Education WA
Statewide Services Resource and Information Centre
EAL/D Program
33 Giles Ave, Padbury WA 6025

Interpreting and Translation Services

All contents copyright Government of Western Australia, unless otherwise stated.

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this site may contain images of people who are deceased.

Copyright material available on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) licence
Exclusions may apply: