Department of Education

Child Protection

Protective Behaviours - Skills for Life
Protective Behaviours - Skills for Life

Child Protection

To achieve a complete multimedia experience when browsing this web site please install the latest Adobe Flash Player plug-in.

Child Protection ‹ School Supports

School Supports

Who can assist me to manage child abuse matters?

For support in managing child protection issues and concerns, the following services are available (contact details are available under Agency Contacts):

Child Protection Support Team

The Child Protection Support Team is able to assist and support principals and DOE staff in implementing the revised Child Protection policy through:

  • providing advice on the revised policy as it applies to individual cases
  • providing advice on mandatory reporting of child sexual abuse
  • the online professional learning program
  • face-to-face workshops.

Education Regional Offices

Education Regional Office staff have a responsibility to assist and support school principals and staff to implement the Child Protection policy.  This may involve:

  • providing advice regarding the policy
  • collaborating with other departments and non-government agencies 
  • providing information about early intervention or universal prevention programs
  • negotiating provision of universal prevention programs for schools.

School psychologists can also:

  • provide advice on child protection concerns
  • liaise with referral agencies in the provision of support
  • inform staff about the impact of abuse on learning and behaviour
  • provide information about universal promotion and prevention programs.

Standards and Integrity Directorate

The Standards and Integrity Directorate (SID) is responsible for assessing alleged breaches of discipline by staff including:

  • failure to comply with department policy
  • complaints and allegations of criminal behaviour
  • misconduct towards students.

The Prevention and Education Team of SID is available for consultation or advice regarding issues concerning staff misconduct.

Department of Health - School Health Service

School nurses may:

  • assist school staff in responding to student disclosures or concerns of abuse
  • advise school staff about mental and physical health issues associated with abuse
  • provide information about universal promotion and prevention programs.

School nurses do not carry out medical examinations for the purpose of investigating child abuse unless authorised by the Department for Child Protection or WA Police to provide specific information.

Department for Child Protection  

The Department for Child Protection has a legal mandate under the Children and Community Services Act 2004  to provide for the protection and care of children in circumstances where their parents have not given, or are unlikely or unable to give, that protection and care.

The Child Abuse Squad (previously known as Child Protection Squad)

The Child Abuse Squad (CAS) investigates physical abuse, sexual abuse and criminal neglect of children throughout Western Australia. 

The squad directly investigates sexual abuse occurring within a family and sexual abuse of children under 13 years of age by a person outside the family and will organise medical examinations if necessary.  In country areas, the CAS regional response teams are responsible for investigating offences against a child.  Where an employee of the Department is suspected of a criminal offence against a child, CAS will liaise with the Standards and Integrity Directorate of the Department and advise the Corruption and Crime Commission of any investigations being conducted into a person employed by the Department.

Previous page |

Page last updated 14 January 2015

School Supports